Murray was first elected Municipal Councillor for the District of North Saanich in 2014, and has been a North Saanich resident since 2012. Prior to this he was a resident of Surrey, B.C. where he was active in local politics as a critic, including running for the position of Mayor in three Civic elections. Murray worked as a self employed artisan woodworker specializing mostly in staircase work. He was a member of the Environmental Advisory Commission 2013-2014 and BC Green Party representative to Elections BC Advisory Committee 2008-2012. A BC Green Party member since 2000, he held the position of Chair 2009-2012 as well as Vice Chair for 2013.
Murray’s regional responsibilities for the 2018-2022 term include:
- Saanich Peninsula Water and Wastewater Commissions
- Capital Regional Emergency Service Telecommunications Inc. (CREST)
- Memorial Park Society Joint Finance Steering Committee
- Peninsula Streams Society
- Community Stewardship Commission
- North Saanich Freeride Park Society