The District continues to monitor the COVID-19 situation and is following the guidance of the Federal and Provincial governments and Island Health.
Messages from Council
Read the March 30 Message from Council
Please help your community by practising social distancing. Limit activities outside your home, connect with people virtually and keep 2 metres (6 feet) between yourself and others when in public.
If you can do so safely, please check-in with your neighbours to see if they need assistance.
If you are on Facebook, join the North Saanich/Sidney COVID-19 isolation needs page.
Outdoor burning is banned in North Saanich until further notice. On March 26, 2020 the Ministry of Environment restricted open burning in high smoke sensitivity zones, including all of North Saanich. Read the Ministry’s media release.
What You Need to Know
The following measures are being taken to minimize the risk to our staff and community.
Closure of Municipal Facilities
The District continues to deliver municipal services by phone and email where possible.
To ensure the health and safety of our first responders, staff and community, we have closed:
- Municipal Hall (1620 Mills Road)
- Wain Road Fire Hall (986 Wain Road) – Administrative Services only
- Green Waste Facility (10180 Littlewood Road)
- Online Services for viewing utility bills and property taxes
- For permits, licences, building inspections and other municipal business, please call 250-656-0781
- Supplier invoices: Email invoices to email@example.com to ensure the fastest possible processing time
Council and Committee Meetings
Public access to Municipal Hall is not permitted at this time. Meetings will be recorded and broadcast live. The archived video will be posted by noon the following day of the meeting.
Budget Committee Meeting: April 6, 2 p.m.
Council Meeting: April 6, 7 p.m.
- Agendas will be posted at northsaanich.ca/council-meetings by end of day Thursday, April 2
- Please send feedback on Council agenda items or the draft budget to Mayor and Council at firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on April 6 for inclusion in the agenda package
View the livestream and archive video: northsaanich.ca/council-meetings
All other Public Hearings and Committee and Board meetings are postponed.
Questions and Contacts:
- Municipal Hall – 250-656-0781 or email@example.com
- Firehall, Wain Road – 250-656-1931 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Parks & Trails
District Parks and Trails remain open for public use. All playgrounds and pickleball and tennis courts are closed until further notice. BC Parks has closed John Dean Park. Visit the BC Parks website for more information.
Please keep your distance while enjoying parks and trails.
- Do not visit parks and trails if you are feeling sick
- Only visit parks with members of your household
- Do not gather in large groups
- Keep a minimum of 2 metres (6 feet) between your party and others
- Do not congregate in parking lots and at entrances
- Don’t forget to wash your hands (20 secs) before and after your visit.
Responsible use of District Parks and Trails may allow them to remain open.
Help keep sewers clear
Please do not flush sanitizer wipes, paper towels or baby wipes down the toilet. These non-flushable items can block sewers and impact sewer station functions.
Help stop the spread
Residents are reminded and encouraged to take the following steps to stay healthy and prevent the spread of infections:
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20-30 seconds
- avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
- avoid close contact with people who are sick
- cough or sneeze into your sleeve and not your hands
- regular cleaning of high touch surfaces and personal workspaces
- maintain social distancing (2 metres apart)
- stay home if you are sick
The District is working closely with the Town of Sidney, District of Central Saanich and other regional local governments to coordinate the delivery of local municipal and emergency services. We are also in daily communication with Island Health, Emergency Management BC and the Province.
- BC COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment Tool
- For medical questions, call 8-1-1 (7-1-1 for individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing)
- For non-medical info, call 1-888-COVID19 or text 604-630-0300
- Register with Safe Seniors, Strong Communities: call 211 or visit bc211.ca for seniors in need or those who are able to provide support to seniors
BC Centre for Disease Control
Government of Canada Diseases and Conditions
Government of Canada Public Health
World Health Organization
Provide financial support