Skip to content

Bylaw Services

Home»Our Services»Bylaw Services
Print This

Bylaw Services

The District’s Bylaw Enforcement Office works primarily on a complaint-driven basis to respond to community concerns regarding contravention of District Bylaws. To encourage only valid complaints and to reduce the opportunity for intimidation and neighbourhood conflict, the District has established a policy that balances accountability and confidentiality among the residents involved.

A list of our bylaws can be found here: Bylaws

Submitting a Complaint

COU-143 Bylaw Enforcement – Complaints Policy

As outlined in the Bylaw Enforcement Policy, investigations must be initiated by a written complaint from a resident of North Saanich either by using the District Bylaw Enforcement Complaint Form or by email A complaint with respect to an alleged contravention of a municipal bylaw must be submitted in writing prior to the District initiating an investigation and must contain:

  • Your name, address and contact information
  • A description of the nature of the complaint
  • The location of the alleged contravention

The goal of the District is to achieve voluntary compliance through education and information. The Bylaw Enforcement staff intend to work with residents in a timely and effective manner and in accordance with Council direction.

The District contracts the enforcement of the Animal Control Bylaw No. 751 to CRD Bylaw Enforcement. Their Bylaw Enforcement Officers will investigate animal-related complaints. In addition to investigations, they provide periodic mobile patrols of the North Saanich area to augment compliance with our animal-related bylaws. To initiate a complaint regarding animals, including dogs, please call CRD Animal Control at 250-478-0624 or contact their after-hours answering service at 1-800-884-0919.

Matters of an urgent nature outside of normal business office hours of Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. should be referred to the RCMP for investigation. Please contact the RCMP by calling their non-emergency line at 250-656-3931.

Noise complaints such as construction outside of permitted hours or on Sundays or Statutory Holidays can also be reported to the RCMP non-emergency line. Following up with Bylaw Services at or 250-655-5476 will allow us to have a record of your complaint.

Print This
Back To Top