History & Heritage
In July of 1905, North Saanich, then including the townsite of Sidney, was incorporated with the original Municipal Hall located in Sidney. Lacking population and a firm tax base, the municipality was dissolved in 1911. In 1940, the site of the present Victoria International Airport was selected as a military forces base and the area boomed with the influx of 10,000 military personnel, leading to incorporation for the Village of Sidney in 1952. Four years later, the residents of the North Saanich unorganized area, numbering 2,865, requested that letters patent be issued to form the “North Saanich Fire Prevention District” with power to own property, to tax and to borrow. In 1965, after a favourable public vote, the letters patent was withdrawn and the North Saanich Municipal District was established with offices at the present location on Mills Road.