Skip to content

Water Conservation

Home»Your Community»Environment»Water Conservation
Print This

Water Conservation

When you use less water you can save money and energy, help the environment and decrease the demand on our drinking water resources.

Water usage can be lowered by installing low-flow fixtures and high-efficiency appliances for your toilet, shower and faucet. The Capital Regional District (CRD) has more information on how you can use less water at home and in your business.

The CRD imposes Stage 1 Water Conservation measures annually from May 1 until September 30. Corresponding watering schedules are in effect within the District of North Saanich (and all other regional water supply system areas). These watering schedules are available on the CRD website.

CRD Water Conservation Info:  email

Water Leak Detection & Repair

The District of North Saanich participates in Fix a Leak Week as a leak kit pick up location from March 18 to 29.  Pick up your free leak detection kit Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the North Saanich Municipal Hall (1620 Mills Road).  Visit the Capital Regional District’s website for more information about Fix a Leak Week.

Water Leak Detection

Higher than normal water usage could mean that you have a leak.

We recommend that you check the meter to find out.

  • Find the meter box on your property, usually located close to the property line.
  • Remove the lid, taking care to not damage any wires.
  • Watch the meter for movement.
  • If no one is using water and the meter moves, you could have a leak.

Common leak causes include:

  • Fixture leaks such as toilet leaks, running toilets, dripping taps or faucets
  • Irrigation system leaks
  • Leaks in the main supply line to the building

As the property owner, you are responsible for any leaks on your property.  This includes where your main line connects to our meter.

Water Leak Repair

Leak repairs can be as simple as fixing a leaking faucet or as complicated as digging up your mail supply line.

A leak in the main supply line between the meter and the residence or building(s) is the only leak that qualifies for a utility billing adjustment. Our Utility Billing page has information on how to apply for a water leak adjustment.

Print This
Back To Top