The following resources are provided for your information. If you would like to suggest an update or additional resource, please contact the Planning and Community Services Department.
Local Events, Food and Programs
- Farmer 2 Farmer is an annual event for farmers and growers of the capital region. This gathering is an opportunity for networking, community building, and capacity building.
- Island Good a campaign to help shoppers identify locally sources food products. Look for the Island Good logo on products and in stores across Vancouver Island.
- North Saanich Farm Market operating every Saturday from June through to Thanksgiving weekend.
- North Saanich Flavour Trails Festival is a celebratory rural ramble and feast of the senses which takes place annually in August.
- Agricultural Land Commission is an independent administrative tribunal dedicated to preserving agricultural land and encouraging farming in British Columbia.
- BC Agriculture Council advocates for the interest of BC farm and ranch families. By working collaboratively with our members, partner industry associations and private sector agri-food businesses, they ensure that sustainable growth and competitiveness of BC agriculture.
- Environmental Farm Plan Program supports farm operations to complete agri-environmental risk assessments.
- FarmLINK is a national land listing platform and linking tool designed to connect those looking for land to rent, lease or buy on farm employment, business partnerships in agriculture, or farm succession arrangements with landowners and retiring farmers who have farmland or other on farm opportunities.
- Young Agrarians is a collaborative network strategy with a lens on new entrants into ecological agriculture focused in Canada. This network supports farmers hosting events to data collection for the farmer resource UMAP, to land access programming and farm apprenticeships and business mentorships.
- Ministry of Agriculture is responsible for the production, marketing, processing and merchandising of agricultural products and food.
- Canadian Agricultural Labour Pool is a recruitment and job seeking assistance service for both employers and those seeking employment. They assist Canadian agricultural employers with their human resource needs and help people secure a career in agriculture.
- Foodwork.ca is Canada’s largest community of sustainable food professionals, job seekers and volunteers.
- Government of Canada provides information on hiring temporary foreign agricultural workers.
- Young Agrarians provides a list of wage subsidy programs available.
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada supports the Canadian agriculture and agri-food sector through initiatives that promote innovation and competitiveness.
- Agriculture Research & Development Corporation leads innovation and delivers resources to improve the long term profitability of BC farmers and ranchers with the vision to grow BC into the most dynamic and robust agricultural province in Canada.
- Agrifood Business Management provides resources for starting a new farm, improving an existing farm, or building a food processing business.
- AgriService BC provides funding, tools and services to help your business succeed in BC.
- Community Farms Program is a project of FarmFolk/City Folk Society and the Centre for Sustainable Food Systems, The University of British Columbia. A list of grants and loans available to farmers is available on their website.
- Capital Region Food and Agriculture Initiatives Roundtable acts as a regional backbone organization and offers a range of services to community organizations, government, and industry.
- Investment Agriculture Foundation of BC delivers a variety programs to assist the agriculture and food processing industries in BC.
Environmental and Climate Change Challenges
- BC Agriculture & Food Climate Action Initiative (CAI) develops tools and resources that increase the capacity of agriculture to adapt to climate change. CAI envisions a future where sustained and enhanced agricultural production serves as an economic stabilizer amid the impacts of climate change in BC.
- Climate Action for Agriculture provides resources for agricultural producers to adapt to climate change and reduce GHG emissions.