Applying for a Building Permit
All applications for a Building Permit can be made at the Planning and Community Services Department. Application forms can be picked up at Municipal Hall during regular working hours or found within information package below. Each structure requires a separate application as per Sections 5.2 of the Building and Plumbing Bylaw 1150.
We can only accept complete applications which must include:
- Completed Building Permit Application Form
- Two sets of the site plan at 1:100 scale
- Two sets of the construction drawings at minimum 1:50 (or 1/4″ to one foot)
- Homeowner Protection Office approval (single family dwelling)
- Vancouver Island Health Authority septic approval if applicable
- Engineering Schedule B from BC Building Code and Schedule D from Building and Plumbing Bylaw 1150 for any manufactured products, i.e. trusses, I joists, manufactured beams, etc.
- Schedule “A” from BC Building Code, if multiple professionals (architects, engineers) are required
- Proof of Liability Insurance if Schedule D from Building and Pluming Bylaw 1150 is required
- Schedule “C”, Owners Acknowledgement, from Building and Plumbing Bylaw 1150
- Certificate of title including copies of all covenants, easements and rights of ways
- A hazardous materials assessment report if altering a building constructed prior to 1990
- A fee for processing the plans, as stated in Section 5.9 of the Building and Plumbing Bylaw 1150
Please be aware that the actual requirements may vary depending on the type of construction. Please consult a Building Inspector to discuss the requirements for your proposal or project.
See Section 5.9 of the Building and Plumbing Bylaw 1150
Please note that the District accepts cash, cheque or interac but does not accept credit cards.
For information on secondary suites and guest cottages, please click here.
For more information, please contact the Planning and Community Services department.