Board of Variance Application
Section 536 of the Local Government Act requires municipalities that have adopted a Zoning Bylaw to establish a Board of variance. In municipalities of under 25,000 population, the Board is comprised of three members appointed by the Municipal Council. The Board of Variance has the power to grant minor variances in situations where compliance with the zoning Bylaw respecting the siting, dimension, or size of a building or structure would cause a person undue hardship. A variance may not vary the land use or density.
In addition, the Board may grant minor variances to:
- The provisions of the Tree Protection Bylaw No. 935 (within certain limitations)
- The prohibition of a structural alteration or addition under Section 531 (Restrictions on alteration or addition to a building or other structure)
- A subdivision servicing requirement under Section 506 (1) (c) in an area zoned for agricultural or industrial use.
the board of Variance is considered to be an independent body; members of Council, staff, or Commissions are not permitted to be members on the Board. Staff provides secretarial and advisory support to the Board.
We want to ensure your application is clear and complete therefore prior to submission we encourage you to speak with one of our planners regarding your proposal. Staff have prepared the following forms to help guide you through the application requirements.
The following forms are a mandatory requirement for a BOV application.
- Development Application Form
- Owner’s Authorization Form
- Zoning Analysis
- A site plan is also required to accompany your application
Please note that the District accepts cash, cheque, or Interac but does not accept credit cards.