Hodgson Residence (Private Residence)
Situated on the east side of Ravenscroft Place in the District of North Saanich, the Hodgson Residence is a one-and-one half storey, wood-frame Arts and Crafts bungalow. The house is distinguished by a sidegabled roof, an inset verandah and wide rustic siding. Originally situated on Marine Drive in West Vancouver, the Hodgson Residence was relocated to North Saanich in 2005, and is set in a location that offers expansive views of Colburne Passage. Constructed in 1913, the Hodgson Residence is valued as the home of prominent British Columbia architect, Hugh A. Hodgson. This served as the Hodgson family residence for many decades. The Hodgson Residence is additionally valued as a superior example of an Arts and Crafts bungalow, and demonstrates Hugh Hodgson’s proficiency with the style.
Character Defining Elements
- Continuous residential use;
- Residential form, scale and massing of the house as expressed by its one and one-half-storey height; side-gabled roof with front shed and gable dormers; asymmetrical massing and inset corner porch;
- Arts and Crafts-style details;
- Windows such as: wooden-sash casement windows in triple assembly with leaded transoms; and leaded wooden sash casement windows;
- Original front door with strap hinges, leaded glass inset and original hardware;
- Original interior features such as: wooden floors and trim; stained fir paneling; coffered ceilings; and built-in cabinetry with leaded glass.