Municipally owned Wain Park is situated south of Birch Road and north of Wain Road. The park is identified by a large wooden sign, hedgerows, baseball diamonds, tennis courts, a basketball court and a large grassed soccer field. Wain Park, an important green space in the North Saanich community, is associated with the commemoration of British Columbia’s Centennial celebration. The name of the park honours North Saanich pioneer, Henry Wain (1826-1914), who had originally pre-empted lands nearby. Wain was born in Kent, England, and immigrated to Canada in 1850 to work as a carpenter for the Hudson’s Bay Company. He first came to North Saanich to build a barn. Wain liked the area so he bought land to farm. He continued to work as a carpenter and helped to build the Deep Cove Hall which was on the North East corner of West Saanich and Wain Road. As an entrepreneur he operated a tavern, the first North Saanich Post Office, a stage coach between Deep Cove area and Victoria and had eight children with his wife Sarah.
Character Defining Elements
- Setting within a low-density neighbourhood;
- Mature specimen trees and hedge row plantings along the perimeter;
- Large 1958 sign, made from wood and concrete, with commemorative Centennial plaque and dogwood motif.