Lomond Ferry (Private Residence)
Otherwise known as The White House, Lomond Ferry is a tall, two and one-half storey wood-frame Foursquare residence, that displays the influence of the Classical Revival style. This large farmhouse is a landmark along West Saanich Road. In 1910 Alfred Hudson built a small summer cottage on this site. In 1912, the site was acquired by Andrew Cox, a Scottish emigrant. Cox returned to Scotland that year, but came back to North Saanich with his five children in 1917 after the death of his wife. He incorporated the cottage into this nine-room home, which he named Lomond Ferry.
Character Defining Elements
- Residential Foursquare form, scale and massing;
- Classical Revival features including symmetrical massing, a central front entry and boxed eaves with regular paired brackets;
- Wood-frame construction including narrow lapped wooden siding with cornerboards;
- Masonry construction, including rubble foundations and internal red-brick chimney.